Wednesday 28 November 2012

Make Your Own Muesli


Breakfast = my favourite meal of the day. 

You'll normally find me sipping on a green smoothie, tucking into some soft boiled eggs or getting warm with a nice bowl of porridge. As much as I love these brekky options sometimes you need a good crunch... and in steps toasted muesli!

For so long I avoided cereal and muesli because most of what you find in the supermarket is full of nasties such as multiple forms of sugars, vegetable oils, preservatives and additives. No thanks. 

I hadn't even really thought about making my own until Tom did one day. It was so simple. A no fuss throw together recipe that is delicious, satisfying and delivers the crunch. 

There is a lot of freedom with this so go wild and get creative. Here is what I like to throw together. You can use it as a base and then go from there. 




Home Made Toasted Muesli

I didn't use strict measurements so use these as a guideline and adjust accordingly. 


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups gluten free oats (not quick oats)
  • 2 cups mixed nuts and seeds: I used hazelnuts, slithered almonds and sunflower seeds
  • 1-2 cups shredded coconut
  • 4-5 tbsp melted coconut oil


Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 120C and line a baking tray with baking paper
  • Mix all ingredients in a bowl and then spread out on the baking tray
  • Place in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. Halfway through pull out the tray and give the muesli a bit of a mix around. You can leave it in longer if you prefer it to be darker. Just keep an eye on it to avoid burning.
  • Serve with fresh fruit such as green apple and raspberries.
  • Store in an air tight container. 





No comments:

Post a Comment