Tuesday 23 October 2012

Get Your Green Smoothie On!




A green smoothie is one of the trendiest accessories you can be seen with, didn't you know? Every health foodie is doing it and for good reasons too!  


So what's so good about them?
  • They are a great way to incorporate more raw greens into your diet. Leafy greens are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, healthy carbs and fibre.
  • By blending your greens you unlock the nutrients and maximise their delivery to your body, more than chewing ever could. And people generally don't chew their food enough anyway.
  • Leafy greens are alkalising, which protects your body against illness and disease.
  • Since they are so easily digestible they give you lots of energy and won't leave you with a "I need a nap" feeling after a heavy meal. 
  • They are filling and a good on the go meal or snack.
  • They taste delicious!

I have enjoyed green smoothies for a while now but never stuck to them consistently until last week. I had one everyday (mostly for breakfast) and boy did I feel a difference! I noticed a boost in my energy and alertness plus I felt full and satisfied. 

So, bring on the greens!

This is a picture I have seen floating around the web, it's a good general guide if you're new to green smoothies. 

source


The fruit in the smoothie masks the taste of the greens, trust me! If you are new to green smoothies start with baby spinach; it's subtle tasting and makes for a creamy smoothie. 



Now for my favourite combo...


Apple Mojito Green Smoothie

This was inspired after a trip to The Breakfast Club where they have a mango and mint green smoothie.

I like to add avocado for extra creaminess and good fats plus some Sunwarrior protein powder to make it more of a complete meal.

Ingredients:
  • 400ml water
  • 3 leaves black kale 
  • 1 green apple
  • 1 scoop Sunwarrior protein powder
  • 1/4 large avocado (1/2 a small)
  • a couple of sprigs of mint leaves 
  • optional: stevia to taste

Directions:
Blend! You can't go wrong, just pop it in a blender and switch it on. Too easy!



I think for me, green smoothies are definitely here to stay. Try it out and see how you feel, you will love it. 

One more tip before I go: try changing up your smoothies on a regular basis so you get all the goodies from all different fruits and greens.




No comments:

Post a Comment