Monday 10 September 2012

Chilled Out Sunday... I Went to Veggie Heaven


I had been looking forward to Sunday all week last week! It lived up to its expectations. 

I traveled up north to Leeds to visit Tom. I love coming up here. It's a nice contrast to the hustle and bustle of London (which for some reason I also love).

I really felt like something savoury for breakfast so I started the day with a bowl of red lentil dahl. I know it's a bit strange but it was so satisfying! Red lentils, onion, a splash of olive oil and turmeric. 



After breakfast a little discovery I made was that Tom's neighbours have THE most amazing garden I have seen. They have a greenhouse with lots of tomatoes and a huge veggie patch with all different kinds of greens. They also have a plum tree and an apple tree, as well as chickens for fresh eggs and bees for honey. Talk about self sufficient! 

And to top it off, they were kind enough to let us come over and take some veggies. 

This is the view of the veggie patch which is fenced off as well as a greenhouse to the right side. 
There is a beautiful pond and also waterfall running - so peaceful. 

SO much kale and red chard, I couldn't believe my eyes there was SO much. This picture doesn't do it justice. 

Never ending kale.

Tomatoes in the greenhouse.

The haul: we got some kale, cabbage, red chard, lettuce, runner beans and delicious plums. 
They were so perfectly ripe they literally fell away from the tree the moment you touched them. 


I think it is safe to say I am completely inspired to grow my own fruit and veg one day.


With our new produce I made two simple meals to take with us to eat after a little drive to the view pictured 
below. We both had quinoa cooked with onion, a side of kale and runner beans 
(fresh from the garden) then Tom had beef and hummus (on the left) and mine was a egg and sunflower seeds. 

The view for lunch. Again - this picture doesn't do it justice! 




I hope everyone had a great relaxing Sunday. What did you get up to?








1 comment:

  1. Yummm love red lentil dahl idea as something different for breakfast. Am inspired to try it now its getting chilling in the mornings! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete